[opensuse] Re: Who is using Gnome?
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 21:15:42 +0100
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. a écrit :

even thinking about it because they'd affected KDE 3 so long.
problem is why is this called KDE4 when it should be named
Plasmoid 0.1...

Because plasma is only one of the new frameworks in KDE 4.

yes, I understand this. But if this had been named by any name other
than KDE, nobody would have expected much (name it Lancelot if you
want). It's a completely new window manager, as different from kde3
than kde3 from Gnome...

only; 4.1 was for early adopters.) KDE 4.2 is the first one that
really feels like KDE.

frankly I don't see any difference from kde4.0 to kde 4.2. No better.
I still can't have the plasmoids fitted where I need them - I even
tried nv and nvidia with little difference, I read all (not much) the
doc in the kde wiki and I'm still lost...

What version of kdebase4-workspace do you have?

rpm -q kdebase4-workspace
kdebase4-workspace-4.2.0-183.3

I'm not entirely sold on Dolphin. I still use Konq for my file
management, but that just because I'm used to it.

I use many usb devices and the new "place" dolphin column is really a
good thing - kde4 have problems, but may... in some month be a killer...

A lot of the "rewrite" was required for the port to Qt4 and/or
Windows. It would have been done independent of any of the
pillars.

it should have been much more modular (slowly moving from kde3)

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org