Re: [opensuse] openSUSE Weekly News, Issue 38
  • From: "Larry Stotler" <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:45:02 -0400
On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 8:10 AM, ne... <guhvies@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
% of KDE Users that use KDE4 3109*100/(4007+3109) = 43.69% approx

I think Michael Loeffler is owed an apology by Larry Stotler. What do you
think?

Actually, then I feel that he shouldn't have worded it that way. I've
seen openSUSE devs pushing KDE4 way too much when it is still not
ready. It was obvious before 11.0 and it still is now, that more of
the TOTAL userbase prefers KDE3 and I stand by that. I may have
misread what he said, but it still shows that over 1/2 of KDE users
PREFER KDE3 and that's the part that a lot of KDE4 promoters seem to
miss.

KDE4 will be adoped as it becomes feature rich and more stable. I
have repeastedly stated that openSUSE's KDE4 was the best available at
the time, but that doesn't mean that KDE4 was ready to be promoted
like it has. It became more stable after the update to 4.1, which
happened not long after 11.0 was released, which is why I have
suggested that the 11.1 release be delayed to include 4.2. I'd rather
see a delay so that a more solid, stable product can be included
instead of seeing a huge amount of effort being put into backporting
the 4.2 stuff into 4.1. I dunno, but that's my opinion.