Re: [opensuse] OpenSuse
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 01:44:20 -0400
On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 01:04 +0200, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
On Thu, August 7, 2008 19:41, slinux2006@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Why can't Linux distributions be as good as Windows XP? Any thoughts?

According to the official Microsoft Product Lifecycle, Windows XP is
almost End Of Life. Microsoft stopped distributing Windows XP via their
partner channels on 30 june 2008. The only exception is for ultralight
laptops like the Asus EEE.
With the end of public availability, the Extended Support period starts,
and from the top of my mind I think that lasts for two years.

EOL, as determined by the end of patch availability is set for 2014 on
XP.

Microsoft currently recommends Windows Vista. So if you want to Troll The
Right Way(tm), don't compare an '03 Windows version with an '08 Linux
distro. That is unfair, Windows XP reflects the state of technology of
five years ago. You should compare current Windows versions with current
Linux distro's.

Some suggestions:
Windows Vista Home Basic <> Ubuntu 8.04,...
Windows Vista Ultimate <> OpenSuse 11.0, Fedora,...
Windows Vista Business <> SLED, RHEL,...
Windows Server 2008 <> Debian, SLES,...

Do better research before you start to troll. Chances are that most people
here had more in-depth hands-on experience with Windows Server 2008 than
you ever had with any flavour of Linux.

--
Amedee