Re: [opensuse] Demand for a KDE 3 LiveCD?
  • From: "Larry Stotler" <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:11:21 -0400
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 10 July 2008 15:25:50 Larry Stotler wrote:
All for it. Either that, or a stripped down KDE4 that looks and works
more like KDE3.

Having tried to install from the KDE4 liveCD, I was unable to remove
KDE4 and replace it with KDE3 without dependency hell.

I would definately be willing to help out in any way I can - like testing.

Great. Can you attend next week's KDE IRC meeting?
(http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Meetings) and we'll soon find ways for you to
help. If the time doesn't fit, shout and we'll set something else up.

No. I don't have an irc account(nor do I use any IM or even text
messaging on my cell phone - I have unlimited minutes, I call people).
Further, I hope to be at the beach with my son during that meeting,
but please go ahead and let those guys know that:

1. I would definately support a KDE3 LiveCD until KDE4 is fully
matured(hopefully by 4.2). What amazes me is that these guys should
know that especially businesses don't just upgrade like this. They
want a full working system. Basically why we have avoided Vista like
the plague. While I don't administer a linux setup, I am going to
install a Linux server and workstation(probable 2-3) at the company I
just joined to make things much easier than how they are doing it now,
and I don't have time to reconfig KDE4 to work like i need it.

2. I will be willing to test it out on i386, x96-64, and PPC. I
don't program, but I will help anyway i can.

3. That I realize that KDE4 is the future, but there is still a lot
of life left in KDE3. KDE4 is a work in progress. When it's much
more complete(not done mind you) compared to KDE3, I will move toward
it. Till then, I don't have a lot of time to work with it. Time is
money at my job, and that's the last place I have time to have to make
things work. Getting machines fixed and customers happy is what pays
the bills.

Thanx