Re: [opensuse] Newbe-opensuse
  • From: Matt Archer <archer.matt08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:35:46 -0400
John Heinen wrote:
I am very much ignorant about linux and openSuse, just installed it on a separate computer,
(just in case I burn the house - (windows-xp)-down
First about modems, I have an Agere LT Winmodem
and an external US Robotics 56K USB fax model modem.
Either one don't seem to respond.

Any external modem should work without problem, because
it's an actual modem, not a glorified sound-card with
telephone jacks needing special code to make it behave
as a modem.

You will *NOT* see your external modem showing up as a device.

Why?

Because it doesn't need device drivers -- any program which uses
it will operate the modem for you

Question Which one would I need to buy for the beast.

External modems are superior, as they self-contained devices
which "just work" ... you can even hook them up to a dumb
ascii terminal, or a paper teletype from the 1960's, and
they will do exactly what you expect them to do.

John A