[opensuse] Re: Suse 10.3 install - oh dear (rant only)
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 16:14:40 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 20 May 2008 19:28:09 -0400, Washington Irving wrote:

And that's the problem... there's NO indication to those unfamiliar to
Linux that KDE 4 is still alpha-quality.

Having looked at the screenshot Stefan posted of the installer, I'd have
to disagree. "Less mature" tells me that maybe I wouldn't want to select
it unless I'm adventurous; in addition, the 3.5 release says it's mature
and stable.

So, if you want a mature & stable desktop, pick KDE3.5, if you want the
new technologies in 4.0 (which aren't enumerated, so anyone who wants to
know what those are is going to have to do some research), then pick 4.0.

The more I look at this screen, the more I understand the developer's
point of view. Could it be clarified and pointed out as alpha/beta
software? Sure, but then after KDE4 releases, those installing 11 will
still have the impression that KDE4 is in alpha/beta state during the
installation, and maybe wouldn't choose it once it has matured and
stabilized. I can kinda see the point in leaving the wording neutral
regarding the current development state because the state changes over
time, but a DVD doesn't.

Jim