Re: [opensuse] Is it possible to remove a disappeared Panel, and install a new one?
  • From: Sam Clemens <clemens.sam1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 04:30:51 -0400
Stan Goodman wrote:
On Sunday 30 March 2008 01:34:13 Felix Miata wrote:
On 2008/03/30 01:07 (GMT+0300) Stan Goodman apparently typed:
It is really difficult to operate without the Panel that has
vanished, because it contains the virtual desktops. If I could
destroy the thing and make a new one, and could emplace the applets
on it as they were, life would be much easier. Can that be done?
You can simulate creating a new user by deleting various dirs in $HOME.
First, while logged out, I'd try

mv .kde/share/config/kickerrc .kde/share/config/kickerrc-old

then logging in to see if it doesn't give it back. If that didn't help,
I'd see if

mv .kde .kde-bak

would do it. That will cause most or all you KDE settings to be
forgotten, but for me putting them all back usually only takes me a
couple of minutes. ./config & .kderc are other possibilities.

It's a thought.
Another thought is that something like this that has happened once can always happen again, and perhaps I should think about junking KDE altogether, and try Gnome. A small survey of administrators of enterprise Linux systems has told me that KDE is considered flakey (which I am now prepared to believe). Also someone posted here yesterday the observation that he has also seen disappearances like this happen (I have to say that I have never seen such a thing in any of the other OSes either I or my neighbors have operated). Who knows? Maybe Gnome is more stable; it is certainly worth a try.

This reminds me of 1985 or so...
At my university..all of the electrical engineering undergrads
had their accounts on two machines... ec and ed, each of which
was a dual-VAX-11, 1 MHz, with about 1 MB of memory.

In February 1985, Gould Electronics delivered a PN 9080 machine,
running at 30 MHz with 16 MB memory, in exchange for debugging
work on the G/UTX Unix kernel to be performed George Goble (GHG). Several of these machines were already in use at Ft Lauderdale,
Florida NASA site. This machine was designated an "auxillary"
machine and given the hostname ei. Any engineering student who
requested an account on the machine was given one.

By August 1985, Gould announced that the kernel debugging done
by Goble was worth the approx $1M USD in hardware which Gould
had donated (mostly the machine itself, plus a couple printers,
and PC attached by a serial line and used as the system console).
Also, at this time, all of the undergrad accounts were migrated
from ec and ed to ei.

Now at this time, the users at NASA Ft Lauderdale were quite
pleased with the current state of G/UTX Unix. However, despite
Goble's debugging efforts, the machine crashed frequently on
our site... I remember during a lab in which I relied on this
machine for doing cross-assembly of 8080 assembly code, the
machine crashed 6 times during the 3-hour lab time. As the
semester progressed, Goble continued to work on debugging the
kernel, and by the next semester, crashes became extremely rare,
and I don't remember any after

Many of the freshman complained..and bitterly.

However, those of us who were sophomores and above, were not
not all that bothered by the crashes.

Why?

Because we were so much more productive when the machine was
up and running that even with the downtime from crashes,
we were all getting more work done in an hour than when
we were working on ec and ed (These machines were so overloaded
that you could type a command line, get up, leave the room,
walk down the hall, down the stairs, and to the student lounge,
buy a candy bar, and walk back...and only half of the command
line you typed would be echoed back to the screen yet).

With Gnome and KDE, a similar comparison can be made.

Yes, KDE is not quite as stable as Gnome...but the productivity
in KDE is so much higher that it more than makes up for the
occasional productivity losses when it goes screwy.

How can I go about removing KDE and starting Gnome, while causing minimum disturbance to the installed application software?

You don't have to remove KDE....in fact, that would be silly,
because then you are denying yourself (or anyone else) the
ability to run any of the many fine KDE apps (most of which
are superior to the Gnome equivalent ... not all, but the
overwhelming majority).

Also, if you don't login as a KDE session, then the
faulty code isn't running...so it has no influence.

Just choose "Gnome" at the login screen.

But....believe me... if you enjoy having a customized
environment that does what YOU want to do, rather than
what the developers decided you should have and not have
an ability to do...you'll be back to KDE within a few days.