Re: [opensuse] Will there be a LTS version of OpenSuse?
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:24:01 +0100
"Johannes Nohl" <johannes.nohl@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Saying LTS I mean Long Term Support as ubuntu people do.

I know there's SEL but I'm asking for the open Suse. I'm configuring a
new webserver right now. And I'm seriosly thinking about waiting for
the next ubuntu LTS. I always ran the machines longer than two years.
Often the contract duration for the dedicated hardware is two years
yet. And although upgrading worked so far for me there were always
small changes which you couldn't see in advance, like postfix
complaining about file permissions.

I really enjoy OpenSuse but a life cycle of two years is - except for
desktops - to short. Not every release has to be supported long term
but what about every third? Couldn't the life cycle be 4.5 years?

Novell offers the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and Desktop products
which are basically LTS versions - but you need to pay for them.

On the other hand, with the build service it would be possible for
community members to support an openSUSE release for a longer term than
we're doing and create an own update channel.

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany