Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-offtopic] Gates Predicts End of the Keyboard in Final CES Keynote
  • From: Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:17:47 -0600
On 01/11/2008 G T Smith wrote:
Billie Walsh wrote:
G T Smith wrote:
Billie Walsh wrote:

<snip>

I don't think I've ever seen anyone give a time frame for this
sort of
thing. It IS in the future somewhere. But not impossible to
achieve.

a) To do this you need good pattern recognition. Neural net
based
applications a still more than a bit limited in accuracy,
reliability
and range of usage. Finger scanning yes, facial recognition not
yet by a
long way.
<snip>
In England they are setting up a new airport screening device. You
"register" with the agency and they take a computer picture of your
face. When you get to the airport you slide in your passport and look
into the camera. It "reads" a chip in your passport and compares the
picture to the one in the database. If there's a match, independent of
hairstyle/color, makeup, etc., you get a "pass" to proceed. If no match
you get t he cops called on you.

In Oklahoma when you get your drivers license they take a picture for
the computer database. When you renew your license you stand in front of
the camera and if the pictures match you get a new license. If
not............. Admittedly, when they first instituted the process
several years ago they had some problem with things like hair style and
length, but they have been working on the software and it is getting
much better. Buy from the lowest bidder and you get cheap products.

Facial recognition is becoming quite good.
</snip>
b) The cognitive A.I. to deal with the semantics, intent, and
action
interpretation of human activity does not exist outside the lab.

"outside the lab" Does that mean that it's IN the lab?

Been in the 'lab' for quite some time... since 1960s at least...

<snip>
But, it is still possible to do these things. Technology just has to
catch up to the dream/idea.

</snip>

futurology reminds of the the Monty Python sketch ... the one where
the
old women agree that astrology reading was good that although it got
the
green six foot lizard bit wrong they were right about the glasses...

<snip>
*<[:oD

Back in the late fifties and early sixties we all thought we would have
moon bases by the end of the century. There has to be the "will" to do
things. If the will isn't there ..........

Then again, sometimes technology has to catch up to our ideas/dreams.

It was a science fiction writer that envisioned global communications
with geostationary satellites long before there were even satellites of
any type. Arthur C. Clarke. He also envisioned the space elevator which
only now some are beginning to think might just be possible. Someone
reads the idea and says,"Hey what a neat idea. I think I know how to do
it." So begins years of research. Then someone makes a breakthrough in
technology and by george it does work.

For how many thousands of years "we" had to walk or ride beasts of
burden. A couple hundred years ago the rail road came along. That was
cutting edge transportation for over a hundred years. Just over a
hundred years ago the automobile started to appear on the scene. Just
about a hundred years ago men learned how to fly in heavier than air
craft. Today we have the ability to go the other planets.

The point I'm trying to make is that technology has "exploded" in the
last hundred years. At this point, barring Armageddon, if technology
keeps going as it has there's no telling where we will be in another
hundred years.
</snip>

Yes punctuation has to be defines. However, while we still use written
documentation the keyboard is the fastest and most efficient way of
creating text. A good keyboard can achieve data input speeds that
exceed
speech, stylus or any other current or proposed input mechanism. What
voice recognition could provide is a humanised interface in situations
where keyboard is not appropriate or required.

<snip>

- --

I think that would depend on ones typing prowess. I can definitely talk
faster than I can type.