Re: [opensuse] server side
  • From: Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:59:51 -0700
chika wrote:
is it openSUSE suitable for being a server??? any option, maybe another
distro?

It's one of the best possible distros to use as a server, since it's
very complete and managable. I do a lot of consulting jobs for small and
medium businesses, and opensuse performs quite solidly. Of course,
personal preferences play a large part. I've been a unix admin since the
90s, and have tried most of the major distros out there, and for the
most part suse is my goto distro.

just curious.... openSUSE always loads or uses 90% of my 1 gig RAM, but
ubuntu just 25% of it. what's that mean?

That could be a slight difference in kernel parameters, which are easily
tuned. It could also be a different usage pattern - could it be that
you're running a totally different workload on the 2 distros, or you had
suse booted up longer? In general linux will always use all the RAM it
can, because unused RAM is wasted RAM.

add my ym "l1u_8e1" to your buddy list
lets share our knowledge on openSUSE

OK