Re: [opensuse] Network Manager??? (WiFi problem)
  • From: "Dennis J. Tuchler" <dennis.tuchler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 10:59:13 -0600
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Sunday 07 January 2007 21:12, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
My wireless "card" (really an Intel Centron wireless feature) was read
and installed when I installed my 10.2, SO I tried to connect with a
wireless router. Firefox reported that it couldn't connect. So, as su,
I entered ifup eth1, to which I received this reply:

Network interface is managed from Network Manager
Network Manager will be advised to set up eth1 but
it cannot be assured from here.

There is no "Network Manager" on the Yast2 menus. What is this all
about? Is there a HowTo or some other material on this problem?

You should have an icon in your systray to control the NetworkManager. If you right click on it, you should see an option to connect to a wireless network, where you can enter things like essid and encryption keys (if needed)

I have no such icon. I have Kmenu/Internet/Network Tools(administration) icon and a Network Browsing icon on my desktop (in which there are several icons, none of which is Network Manager.

How do I fix this? Ot, how do I disable KnetworkManager and just use ifup and ifdown?

--
Best regards,

Dennis J. Tuchler
University City, Missouri 63130