Re: [opensuse] rpm's do not recognize system architechure
  • From: Janne Karhunen <Janne.Karhunen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:40:24 +0300
On Tuesday 22 August 2006 13:15, Andreas Hanke wrote:

> > AFAIK installing packages of different architectures must be
> > allowed.
>
> Why "must"?

x86-64 boxes still need 32bit software (flash, video codecs et al).
And I take it this is the way things are going to be for long, long
time. There will always be some commercial shonk that has not been
ported to x86-64.

BTW: installing 32bit Firefox on x86-64 is easy, but has anyone
succeeded running both 32bit and 64bit konqueror on the same host?
Installs fine, but screws up KDE completely as files collide :/.
Mysterious, RPM should complain about collision.

Yeah, but you can request it to do it ( @arch switch ).

--
// Janne