Re: [SLE] Sending Email
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:36:32 +0200
On Friday 02 June 2006 12:02, John wrote:
> Can someone please clarify the following:
>
> If I use my ISP to send email, they log it and keep the record for years.

SUSE does that too with its mailing lists. ;) But how long an ISP is allowed
to keep your email might differ from country to country.

> If I elect to use my server with its DNS capability to send the mail
> 'direct', even though I still need the ISP to give me an internet
> connection, they have nothing to log.
>
> Is my understanding correct?

Do they log (email) traffic? I suppose your internet traffic has to pass
through their servers, right? Then theoretically they can log whatever they
want, the legality of it being another question. ;)

Cheers,

Leen