Re: [opensuse] Registration in 10.1
  • From: "Matt Bottrell" <mbottrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 19:30:43 +1000
On 5/13/06, Peter Flodin <pflodin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 5/13/06, Erhard Sanio <erhard.sanio@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there a way to circumvent that annoying attempt
> on my privacy? Otherwise this means goodbye SuSE.
> I would regret, but other Linux projects do not try
> to force me to deliver my secrets to them
>
> sincerely, E. Sanio

I personally don't like the collection of any information. Though it
doesn't stress me.

Here in Australia there isn't a decent mirror to use (the ones listed on the
opensuse.org site are dreadfully behind and are never updated). As such I
manually select one that is fresh.

If a user has been smart enough to move away from Windows to run Linux as
their desktop -- they are smart enough to figure out what mirror to use...

Statistics for usage -- I can understand... though some more thought could
have gone into it. I understand 'download' numbers are hard to collect and
in any instance -- 1 download could be installed numerous times.

Guess they are damned if they do, damned if they dont. :(

--
Matt Bottrell
mbottrell@xxxxxxxxx