Re: [SLE] SUSE 10 boxed edition broken beyond ...
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 05:18:36 +0000 (UTC)
On Friday 25 November 2005 10:29 am, Bryan S. Tyson wrote:
> On Friday 25 November 2005 10:14 am, Joachim Schrod wrote:
> > there is no MP3 support on the retail DVD any more
>
> How does Novell/SuSE expect market share to increase with such a glaring
> omission? I can understand leaving it out of OpenSUSE.
>
> The average Windows-using retail customer is just going to walk away. This
> is the retail box we're talking about. They should pay whatever fee they
> think is necessary to make it legal and raise the price to cover it. The
> same with DVD support.

This is a very valid point. Xandros (I believe - never used it) and Linspire
includes out of the box DVD support, if you wish to have it. I know for
Linspire it is a US $10 charge. Not bad, if you want DVD playback on your
computer. (Again, not something I really care about but seems to be an
issue.)

> I have been purchasing and using the retail boxed set since version 6. The
> retail box lacking DVD support was bad enough. Now that they don't even
> include mp3 support,

Although easy to overcome, this is a GLARING omission. I've yet to hear of a
software company getting sued by Frauenhofer for using the LAME codec. Not
including an item simply because of the possibility of a threat of a
lawsuit shows lack of strength. Maybe we should call version 10 the Chicken
Little version.

> and with the recent Gnome-centric plans for the
> future, I am seriously considering dropping SuSE. Recently as I stood in
> CompUSA holding the version 10 box in my hand, I sadly put it back on the
> shelf and left.

I hear ya! Although at the same time, picking one distro and sticking with it
would be a good move in my opinion. Though linux is about choice, having the
company choose a standard isn't all that bad. If it is the butt-ugly
unfriendly Gnome, so be it. At least Novell will be drawing a line in the
sand and supporting that standard. Then their efforts won't be split between
the two major desktops.

...enough ranting.

--
kai
www.perfectreign.com

linux - genuine windows replacement part

< Previous Next >