Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.3 - Is it really that bad?
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 10:30:34 +0100
On 5/3/05, Carlos E. R. <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The Monday 2005-05-02 at 14:20 +0100, Stephen Boddy wrote:
>
> > On Monday 02 May 2005 12:25, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > > Do I understand correctly that it is not legal in the US for SuSE users to
> > > listen to mp3, but it is for european users?
> > >
> > > Do you have more info on this (a link for further reading, perhaps)? I
> > > think SuSE should have told us Europeans buyers why mp3 did not work any
> > > longer, and how we could solve it. A product that sells worldwide should
> > > give this kind of info in an easy to find place (like the printed book).
> > > Multimedia is announced in the box.
> >
> > It's because the process of encoding and decoding mp3's are covered by
> > software patents. In the US these are enforcable, whilst they are not
> > (theoretically) in the EU.
>
> Not being a lawyer, nor versed in "foreign law" I'm thoroughly confused by
> all this O:-) - but as previous SuSE versions supported listening to mp3
> files, I thought the patent applied to creating such files, nor listening
> to them.
>
> I don't remember having to pay patent fees to build my own radio years
> ago. Maybe listening to music I paid for is different. I must be getting
> dumb.
>
> > It could well be mentioned on the Novell/SuSE website, but since the buyout
> > Novell have turned that into an obtuse exercise into frustration.
>
> I should be printed in paper, in the outside of the box, actually.
>
> > A few of
> > the reviews have highlighted this issue and the solution. Of course there is
> > nothing to stop a US citizen downloading the additional packages, but they
> > take on the legal responsibility themselves.
>
> As I said, not being a lawyer, I don't know unless told in plain words, by
> them (SuSE); and the comments on the "/Multimedia-Option-Pack-1" say
> nothing of the sort before downloading. See:
>
> Shortdescription.german: Multimedia Option Pack 1
> Shortdescription.english: Multimedia Option Pack 1
>
> Longdescription.english:
> Multimedia Option Pack 1
>
> Nothing more... it does not say anything about "maybe being illegal in
> some countries".
>
> And, actually, those words should be in Spanish to be legally binding for
> me :-p
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson
>

> --

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it has been my understanding that
any breakage regarding MP3 playback is fixed under YOU.

I just wish they could fix DVD playback that way as I have never got
it to work on any of my SuSE distro's (9.1+ 9.2). This despite
downloading the required lib files. I suspect it was not using the
newly downloaded version of Xine but that is another post :-)

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street