Re: [SLE] What to backup
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 03:25:03 +1100
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:10, Michael W Cocke wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:12:48 +1100, you wrote:
> >If anyone is after a complete backup and rescue system have a look at
> > Mondo Rescue.
>
> Just be careful you don't need more than 50 media - it will barf. I
> found DAR to be much more flexible. Faster too.

Noted, but I generally backup to a DVD and haven't had any problems. The DVD I
use is in an external USB housing so I can move the burner to any computer I
want.

The nice thing about Mondo is that you can put the DVD into another machine
with a new harddisk and boot off the DVD and have Mondo create a complete
system without any mucking around on my part. In other words it is great for
cloning a system.

The main difference between dar and Mondo is that dar is only a backup and
restore program. Mondo on the otherhand backs up the complete operating
system, partitions and all and is capable of restoring the complete operating
system on another hard disk, just by booting the CD/DVD. Mondo functions more
like ghost or partimage, but is far more flexible and complete disk recovery
system than the fore mentioned.

Each has it place. I suggest that you use Mondo initially to create a complete
system backup onto CD/DVD. Then use dar to backup your data on a daily/weekly
basis. That way you can quickly recover from a hard disk crash using mondo,
then restore your data using dar.

--
Regards,

Graham Smith