Re: [SLE] Believe this ?? OT
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:41:17 -0700
Carlos,

On Thursday 14 October 2004 15:42, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Right. The problem is that windows can not umount a disk, nor can it
> deny access to the disk (I wonder why?) - so the only way is to request
> the user from refrain using the disk, and detect if there is an access
> and stopping or pausing the process - meaning that things like the
> wallpaper launching stops scandisk.

Under Windows NT and "higher," the OS most certainly can and does prohibit
direct access to the drive. That's why you have to reboot to run
"CHKDSK.EXE" on the boot volume or on any volume that cannot be unmounted
(e.g., because it contains an active paging file ("pagefile.sys"). In
those cases, CHKDSK runs outside the normal Windows environment in an
early boot stage.

> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson