Re: [SLE] re: i dont understand it
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:16:45 +0100
On Tuesday 28 September 2004 03:16, Ben wrote:
> I dont get why tar wont compile when all other things do,

Tar doesn't compile. It's a file archiving utility. Read man tar. Compiling
source code requires the presence on the machine of a suitable toolchain,
which is made up of many elements, some or all of which are called on in
compiling a particular bit of source code.

O'Reilly's 'Running Linux' would be one good place to start, I would suggest,
by Matt Welsh(?) et al. There's so much stuff on the web, but this:

http://www.luv.asn.au/overheads/compile.html

looks rational and well laid out.

> For instance
> i run Internet Explorer on SuSE + Word + Access + Outlook + Microsoft
> games like S.O.F + a heap of RPM's but tar files wont compile.
> If i dont have c/c++ things installed then how can i run all the software
> i do?

You need to read a few basic books on Linux before attempting to ask questions
of this nature. At the moment what you're asking doesn't make adequate
sense, so the answers won't either. I know very little about compiling
source code, but usually know just enough, or what to ask - it really is
going to make your life easier to do a bit of background reading first.
HTH
Fergus

> Forgive me if the answer is obvious!
> But i dont get why only tar files wont compile?
>
> Yours...Ben
>
> PS
> I caint find an option for C/C++ Compiler and Tools???
>
> --

Fergus Wilde
Chetham's Library
Long Millgate