Re: [SLE] re: i dont understand it
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:17:09 +0100
Ben wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:26:45 +0100, Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday 27 September 2004 09:58, Chadley Wilson wrote:

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 04:19, Ben wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:16:20 -0700, Ben <willcu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I dont get why tar wont compile when all other things do, For instance
> > i run Internet Explorer on SuSE + Word + Access + Outlook + MS
> > games like S.O.F + a heap of RPM's but tar files wont compile.
> > If i dont have c/c++ things installed then how can i run all the
> > software i do?
> > Forgive me if the answer is obvious!
> > But i dont get why only tar files wont compile?
> >
> > Yours...Ben
> >
> > PS
> > I caint find an option for C/C++ Compiler and Tools???

The software that already runs is already compiled, otherwise it wont run,
what you are trying to do is (normally painless, but appears to be very
painfull right now) is compile the contents of a tarball, which contains
source code.
First of all send me the link to the package you are trying to install,
I also need to know what distro of suse you are running, i.e downloaded
personal edition, 9.1 pro SLE etc...
Is your kernel custom or std.
then run :

[root@chadlap: root]# gcc - -version
gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)

[root@chadlap: root]# c++ --version
c++ (GCC) 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)

Make sure your are running as root (su -)

He ought to be able to configure and make as a user, usually he'd only need to
be root to do the 'make install' bit. Probably a bit safer to do it that
way.

If it is a driver you must extract the sources to
the /usr/src/linux-2.6.4-52/drivers/the/type/of/driver directory and
compile it there.
Read the INSTALL or README files that accompany the source , they usually
tell you there if you need a specific version of c++ or gcc to compile.

That's got him off to a good start, but depending on what he's compiling a
whole slew of devel rpms may need to be on the system too, plus the right
kernel sources, and so on.
Cheers
Fergus

YES that is what im wondering, Does SuSE9.1 personal DL version not have software

that the pro version does as far as C++ ang GCC goes???

let me know
Thanks

ps try searching for yast -- software for c++ gcc make, and see if they are
infact installed.

> --

Chadley Wilson
Production Line Supervisor
Pinnacle Micro
Manufacturers of Proline Computers
Exercise freedom, Use LINUX

Probably something fundamental. It would be nice to show what you do with the tar file and the errors.
Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
=====LINUX ONLY USED HERE=====

< Previous Next >