Re: [SLE] Which motherboard/RAID controller for home file-server?
  • From: Pieter Hulshoff <phulshof@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:14:49 +0200
On Monday 02 August 2004 13:48, Louis Richards wrote:
> Many of the Highpoint and Promise cards are simply IDE cards with the
> RAID being done in the driver. In other words, these are really software
> RAID. If you are going to be doing software RAID anyway, you should use
> the more mature md that came with your system.
>
> I would buy two additional IDE cards so each drive is by itself on a
> channel. I always mirror boot and swap. The rest can be RAID 5.

Won't the PCI become a bottleneck? Would it be wise to get an on-board Gb
connection, or would that still use the PCI bus?

My current motherboard uses 4 IDE ports, so I guess with 2 IDE cards I should
be able to create a decent setup. Perhaps I should consider investing a bit
in S-ATA to keep the cable problem under control?

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff