Re: [SLE] Sending email via SMTP that is not current dial-up ISP
  • From: Scott Jones <scott@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:34:53 -0600
On Saturday 03 April 2004 10:54, Glenn wrote:

> Currently when I dial into AT&T, there is no problems getting
> messages from my hometown providers POP server, but if I try to send,
> nothing happens until I get the message "Error while performing
> operation: Could not connect to mail.kpunet.net (port 25):Connection
> timed out."

AT&T blocks outbound port 25, which means you can send mail out only
through their SMTP server when dialed up with them (and yes, this is a
good thing, despite the inconvenience).

I don't know about Evolution, but with KMail, you can change your
outgoing server on the fly by setting up multiple SMTP servers and
identities. Barring that, you would need to change it manually,
depending on who you are using for dialup at the time.

--
Homepage http://scott.exti.net
XFce desktop environment http://www.xfce.org