Re: [SLE] What size is your /home dir?
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:59:56 +0100
On Sunday 27 April 2003 20:34, Tom Nielsen wrote:
> I screwed up my upgrade on my 8.0 system going to 8.2 and had to redo
> the whole thing last night. I didn't have a /home directory and at the
> recommendation of everyone, I made one before installing.
>
> Anyway, I made my /home directory 2GB in size. Is that too big....too
> small, or just fine?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

My recent policy on this has been to have a small /home partition (1GB - and
NB I think you may have meant /home partition, not simply /home directory,
which would make all /home data live on the / partition), adequately generous
/, swap and /var, and then the rest of the disk devoted to a /data partition.
The virtue of this is that I can reinstall over the disk several times,
formating (having first backed up!) /home and the rest in order to save
having to monkey with dot file incompatibilities, but not formatting /data.
I just make /data the place I keep anything I want to preserve permanently.
This may not be suitable if you have many users, of course, but works well
for my desktop machines. I'm not trying to sell this as a substitute for
backing up essential files before a re-install, of course.
HTH
Fergus

--
Fergus Wilde