Re: [SLE] SLES8
  • From: Dmitry Melekhov <dm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 10:09:54 +0400
Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Fri, Nov 22, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:

Legally: Don't know, but I know that it's definitely legal for us to

^^^^^^^
This is what I want to know.
Definitely, this is stupid situation- Suse's employeers don't know such
thing :-(

This is not a stupid situation. You only ask the wrong people. You cannot expect from technical stuff to give you legal advice. You
will not ask a motor mechanic to submit a case to a court for you,
will you? This mailing list is the wrong medium for such questions.

OK. May be you are right.
But here
http://www.suse.com/us/private/support/mailinglists/index.html
this is list is described as
<quote>
Discussions about SuSE Linux (english)
</quote>
I'm talking about Suse Linux, not about something else, imho.

But I think that right place for _answer_ to my question is here:
http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/sles/index.html
But there is no answer :-(
And here http://support.suse.de/psdb/ there is no terms of PSDB using.

And even in SLES7 box (!) there is no license, no terms of maintenance web using!
( I just opened this box and looked into it).
License on CDs (COPYING) is
<quote>
GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 2, June 1991
</quote>

So I installed SLES7 from _one_ box to _4_ servers a year ago.
If Suse had right to revoke my PSDB account, where is document? :-/
Now, when we need next year maintenance, or, may be new UL based distribution
I need to know what to choose.

As I pointed before there is such info on SCO site:
http://www.sco.com/images/pdf/scolinux/SCO_Linux_FAQ.pdf
<quote>
SCO Linux 4 will be priced competitively on a per server basis.
</quote>

Guess why I don't ask SCO about licensing? ;-)