wine vs wineX; or another app to port win progs?
  • From: "Jeric" <jeric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 16:24:24 -0500
Hi,
What is the difference between wine and wineX? Is wineX /just/ for games,
or can it do applications also? Because it looks like it has better support
for games then wine, but I haven't seen anything as to applications that is
supports. Is it possible to run both at the same time (wineX for my games,
and wine for applications?)

I only have one (of several) computers left that still runs windows, but I
need it for several programs and, of course, games. I am chained to windows
because I have programs such as: dreamweaverUltraDev4, flash5,
visualStudio.net, photoshop6, and bryce5. I know most of these have a
somewhat comparable cousin in Linux, but I have come accustom to these
particular ones, and don't want to have to relearn new apps (or re-purchase
their equivalents). Plus, some are going to have serious issues being
ported over (like .net). Also, I need a gaming computer, so I need
something that can run games pretty well, too.

What is an inexpensive way to do this if Wine or WineX is not the way to go?
I looked at VMWare, but almost 300 dollars is a little much with its current
limitations, and no upgrade insurance. Hardware requirements (i.e. extra
ram, hdd space, cpu power, etc.) are not an issue.

thanks,
jeric

< Previous Next >