Re: [SLE] USB printer / scanner
On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 21:49, Klaus Slott wrote:

(...)

> Well, maybee i was just lucky, but I don't remember using that much time. I
> just pulled in the HP-officeJet-0.8-23 package bundled with SuSE 7.3.
> Followed the description in the documentation and was up and scanning within
> a hour.
>
> It really depends on what your need from your device. I can use my LaserJet
> 1100A for simple b/w or grayscale multipage scanning. I use a real scanner
> for other tasks.
>
> Regards
> Klaus

Hi Klaus,

It's certainly different in your case. First and biggest issue, as I
mentioned, is usb-ohci. This isn't working like it is with usb-uhci.
Next, the LaserJet 1100A seems to be supported by SuSE out-of-the-box
and you needn't get a driver from linuxprinting, which then requires
compiling a new, tweaked ghostscript, and, some new foomatic script, and
tweaking the ptal backend ... forgot the rest:-)
What it's all about, you just can't generalize, it may work well with
this device on that system, and it may be a total desaster if you are
wolfi or some equally stoopid loser:-)

Cheers none the less !! Wolfi