Re: [SLE] [OT] Legal Issues Type Question
  • From: "Fergus Wilde" <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 14:09:32 +0100
Hi Eddie.

Did you get Simply to write this policy down, or was it just done on the
phone? It
would be interesting to see it justified in writing.

I think if a few folks email them to say that we're aware that MS is
pressurising
hardware vendors not to sell boxes without an OS, but that plenty of people
want a
comp. to put Linux on, this should get a result. Or, like the man said, buy
elsewhere.
I have found it no cheaper, but generally more satisfactory to build
machines for Linux,
that way you've got some control over the motherboard and other
low-visibility elements
of the package like the case and power supply as well as RAM, disks and so
on, and
you can pick directly from the hardware compatibility lists.

In broader terms, I'm a bit surprised this sort of restrictive practice
isn't illegal. When they
say 'you must have an OS', I suppose they mean 'you must buy an MS OS.'
However
you slice it, this is very naughty and scarcely conducive to the healthy
free-market competition
men like Gates are always droning on about in justifying the present
economic setup.

Maybe a few emails to people like Charlie Stross at Computer shopper, too -
may do it
if I get time
Cheers
Fergus