Re: [opensuse-wiki] Download page
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:04:17 +0200
Hi,

On Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 16:42:49, houghi wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 03:39:06PM +0200, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
> > And? Ask yourself these questions:
> >
> > Does it hurt you if you know what you are doing to click 2 times?
>
> Yes, because I know it could have been in one time.
>
> > Does it hurt you if you have no fsckn clue what to download and how if
> > this information is burried away somewhere?
>
> As it is now, yes, because with too much information it is confusing.
>
> > And let me tell you: what you are stating is not true at all. Most users
> > read documentation.
>
> I have first hand information that people don't read information. At least
> not enough. The minority that does won't mind looking at an extra page. I
> don't want to remove the information.

You want to hide it. Thats not exactly removing but it comes close ;)

> > Its the lack of good documentation that makes users
> > unsure about the choices they have to take.
>
> The way you go from the fromload page to the actual download is lack of
> good documentation.

So following your argumentation linking from the index page to some
directory with iso files in it would be the best documentation? Hmmmmm

> > Because you have to make some choices before you can "just download and
> > install". And these choices are explained in the pages.
>
> There are way too many unneeded choices to be made in the steps between
> clicking 'download' and doing the actual download.

Which choice is unneeded? Tell me please...

> > I am open minded. In fact i think you are not. You want to reduce the
> > usefulness of the download page to most of the people and concentrate on
> > users who know what choices they have to take to spare them 2 clicks...
>
> No, I want to simplify the process of going from the download button to
> the actual download. Top me the download page is not a download page, it
> is information about a download page.

Sure. Its documentation of what you can download.

> There is just too much at the same time at the wrong time.

So what would be the right amount and the right time?

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, Core Services
"Rules change. The Game remains the same."