Re: [opensuse-testing] RC1 nearing
  • From: Holger Sickenberg <holgi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:16:19 +0200

Hi Terje,

On my M7 x86_64 dual core laptop installation I think when the machine
stays idle for some time the CPU load and fan begin higher activity.

A few months ago even more activity (one cpu up to 100% constant load)
happened on SLED 11 after an upgrade of the X server. Possibly it was a
screen saver that caused the problem.

Any similar experience on M7?

Can you see in the process list (e.a. using "top"-command) what causes
the load?

1) Yes, using top the following cpu loads and processes arise:

51% beagled
38% dbus-daemon
22% hald

As seen these eat 'one whole' of two cpu's on my relative highend
HP Compac 8710w mobile workstation with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9500 2.6
GHz, 3.8 GiB memory
The cpu load fell down again when I start to use the machine again.

OK, so maybe someone from the gnome team can answer what's happening
there. My guess would be that Beagle is collecting data for its search

2) On another, (old and slow) AMD K7 stationary PC, model MS-6195, 500
MiB memory, with M7 i586 installed, top shows another variant the first
minutes after login to Gnome:

96% cpu load for the prepare_preload process

I have no idea what prepare_preload is doing.

Best wishes,
Holgi