Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE server
Hello,

Am Dienstag, 13. Dezember 2011 schrieb Jörg Stephan:
Are their people interested in creating openSUSE Server?

Yes and no ;-)

Yes, because I'm using openSUSE (also) on servers.

No, because I think doing it in the distribution itsself (= submit
packages to Factory) instead of starting a separate project would be
better and avoids some additional work.

- Repos are to wide splitted:
For running an webserver you definitely need some community-repos.
Providing them on the wiki would help, and of course talk about that.

Submit the packages you need to Factory.

- server-kernel is needed
of course, i know, i know, the -desktop kernel works on an server. And
to be honest i just mention it here cause i talkes with a friend and
he just said, having a -server kernel would feel better, and he is
right :-)

Do you have some numbers for that feeling?
I'm quite sure the kernel developers/packagers will be very happy if you
can provide a configuration for a server kernel that makes a webserver,
fileserver etc. 20% faster ;-)

If it is really just a feeling, I can prepare a kernel-feel-better
package containing (only) symlinks to /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd and
a dependency on the default kernel *g,d&r*

- a install should be created
i use this "minimal-system" to install my servers. but the first time
i added some software i was surprised that the pattern must be
removed. That's strange.

The "minimal system" pattern is somewhat special, see my other mail
deeper in the thread about this.

Besides that, feel free to enhance the existing server-related patterns
or create new ones as needed.

- long term support
if needed, should be placed. I guess there should be no need, but
maybe a point to talk about.

You mean http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen ? People who help to
keep old releases maintained are more than welcome ;-)

And: yes, long term support is an important point, especially for
servers IMHO.

I would like to work on this topics. But i guess it will not work if i
am alone on this. So any ideas?

See above ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Wenn mir jemand im Klartext (deutsch oder schwäbisch) schreiben könnte
Om's scsi_mod musch di et kimmra, des kå modprobe en dr