Re: [opensuse-project] OBS in the product_highlights
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:22:59 -0500
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 11 Nov 2011 16:00:49 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
Heya all,

Last year our Product Highlights only talked about what we officially
ship in the OSS repo and on the DVD. This year, I couldn't help but
add a few really cool things we're doing outside of our normal repo's,
including the cloud stacks (OpenStack, OpenNebula and Eucalyptus),
ownCloud and Calligra.

Why do you suggest promoting them in the 12.1 Product Highlights?  Surely we
can make 2 or more good stories out of this instead of one bloated one that
will make TL;DR* reflexes kick in?  Is it really impossible to get people to
publish and read openSUSE news items other than the distro release?

IMO our OBS projects' output is a second amazing product of the openSUSE
project.  To conflate them into 12.1 does not give them the attention they
deserve, and it prevents you from talking up the cross-distro packaging
features the OBS provides.  You should revise our communications approach
instead of shoehorning everything into the highlights.

Will

I work on two different kinds of packages.

One is filesystem related (filesystems:ext4dev-snapshots) and the
packages are extremely tied into kernel. It is only targeting 12.1
builds, so it makes sense to me to mention it in the 12.1 release
notes.

Other packages are typically userspace and target all the supported
releases (11.3/11.4/12.1)

For those, I agree with Will, I would rather see that promoted via
another mechanism.

Maybe every month or two a article discussing significant activities
in the devel projects can be put out. (I for one avoid the home
directories of anyone but me.)

Greg