[opensuse-project] Re: What's the latest on the strategy discussion?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 20:10:25 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:28:08 +0100, Kim Leyendecker wrote:

Well, do you know SUSE Linux Personal or SUSE Linux Professional? I
think so.

I´ve got an concept that maybe can stop them. I use this for my own
distribution I´ve built with SUSE Studio.

This concept looks like this:

openSUSE:
This system is for the beginners and for "home-users".

openSUSE Professional:
This system is for advanced users who can work with a system that´s
maybe must be administrate over the terminal.

But I think today openSUSE is a distribution for both user groups.

Given the number of new users we see in the forums, I would tend to agree
that it is used by both user groups.

However, even that kind of definition doesn't work well, because I myself
use openSUSE at home. ;-)

My point being, "beginners" and "home users" are not equivalent. One can
be a "home user" and be an "advanced user", and I suspect that many of
the readership of this list are in that category.

This is why I think it's important to define the audience, even if it
isn't part of the mission statement (ie, the words explaining the
definition aren't in that statement).

Jim
--
Jim Henderson