Re: [opensuse-project] community transition
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:10:14 -0400
On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 5:09 AM, Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx> wrote:

On 24/09/10 10:28, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
[...]
openSUSE is, like all Free Software communities, a meritocracy. You
EARN the right to speak up (influence) by proving yourself valuable. If
you don't contribute, who the f*** are you that we should listen? We're
not a company - where managers get appointed to a position because they
had the right papers and contacts and get paid well - here, those who
actually KNOW what they are talking about are in charge. When we need
input from others (like users) we ask for it (eg see the openSUSE users
survey).

I find your statement quite ironical. You haven't contributed to SuSE or
openSUSE in the past (at least not directly), now you are being *paid* to
work on Linux (openSUSE) the whole day, and you have been *appointed* the
community manager. You get the picture? I work in the industry and your
statement that (project) managers in companies just get their jobs because
they know the right people and there's a lot of money involved and
otherwise they don't have a clue is absolutely appalling. I would really
like to know what your fellow Novell project managers think about such an
opinion.

-project is a development list. So those who speak here are
contributors - or rather, should be. If you answer questions on the
forums, write articles for news.o.o, are an artist for openSUSE,
packager, developer - it doesn't matter WHAT you do, you're part of
those who make decisions. Nothing, however, is not enough. And opinions
we have plenty, so no, giving those is not a contribution, sorry.

I agree with David on this one. You devalue thousands of contributions!
There are a lot of people out there who don't have the luxury to be paid
to work on Linux like you are. There are people out there who have not
much time to contribute in form of RPM packaging etc, but they have great
experience with Linux or software development or project management in
general. Providing ideas and opinions *is* a contribution to openSUSE!

Thomas

I can see both sides of the "opinion" argument. I contribute in
various ways, but I feel my opinions are some of my best
contributions.

I think my most valuable opinions are those formalized via openfate.
So I certainly hope activity in openFate qualifies as a contribution.

fyi: Jos, openFate doesn't yet seem to work very well from my
volunteer contributor perspective. I'm glad that as of a few months
ago the newsletter has new openfate entries in it, but even with that
there is not enough transparency into the process.

As an example, a month ago I submitted: https://features.opensuse.org/310405#

It has 8 positive votes, 1 neutral vote, 0 negative votes and 1
comment. That is the sum of my knowledge.

Is it moving forward? Has it even been looked at by someone who might
implement it? By someone who could allocate resources? etc.?

How is the resource allocation decision made? ie. Novell has provided
man power to create yast2-wagon. Will they help to see it more fully
integrated?

If a positive "go" decision were made, where would it be noted?

fyi: I've made other proposals that seemed to cause new features to be
added to the release, but no acknowledgment that my feedback was
influential in the process.

Greg