Re: [opensuse-packaging] Getting rid of /etc/tmpdirs.d
On Tuesday 22 November 2011, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On 11/22/2011 12:02 PM, Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Tuesday 22 November 2011, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
We currently use both /etc/tmpdirs.d and /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d - the
first for SysVinit, the second for systemd.

Moving config files from /etc to /usr/lib?

Not really config files. And we have them already in that location,
just duplicated with different semantics.

Having them already in wrong location doesn't makes that location
better.

I suggest to drop /etc/tmpdirs.d completely (after taking care
that the files are listed in tmpfiles.d

How can you ensure that? We don't know about files which have been
added by admins.

I can only take care of files as part of the distribution. Note that
even openSUSE 12.1 will not by default read /etc/tmpdirs.d at all
unless you use sysvinit.

Saying this you can even drop sysvinit support right now. No need to
break it step by step.

The question is how to create the directories when booting with
SysVinit. We have two options:
1) Run /bin/systemd-tmpfiles from systemd to create these
2) Add some shell magic that reads and parses the tmpfiles.d and
creates those.

While shell-free bootup is a major goal of systemd it's a major
reason for others to stick with init scripts at all.

Since I see that systemd is already - even if not used by default
- required by a couple of packages, I'm going with the first
option.

Having already tons of dependencies is a good argument to create
even more dependencies?

No, an argument to not reinvent the wheel a second time but instead
use one tool for all cases,

IMHO the second wheel is the reinvented one not the first one.

cu,
Rudi