Re: [opensuse-kde] What is KDE 4.4 missing? (Was: Factory KDE3 repo)
  • From: David Herman <mesamoo115@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 15:44:52 -0700
On Wednesday 07 April 2010, Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 7 April 2010 05:42, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is now empty on the two mirrors I checked. Is this a temporary
condition? If so, is there an ETA on population there? KDE4.4.x is still
not a suitable replacement for KDE3 here.

I file bugs and feature requests for KDE. While I agree that KDE
3.5.10 does have some advantages over KDE 4, I am interested in
knowing which features are missing for you in KDE 4.4. My goal is only
to improve KDE 4 to fit your needs, not to try to convince you, so if
you just let me know what is missing, not working right, or not
intuitive in KDE 4 I will help get it fixed.

Thank you for asking this question, I think my biggest issue currently is the
way
adding applications to the panel works. I know about quickstart but it does not
allow
much control over the placement and organization of the applications you add to
it.

The last time I tried to add an application to a panel (particularly any panel
other
than the main one) I had to:

unlock widgets,
set the desired panel to NOT autohide,
right click on the desktop and select Add Widget,
find and add the Lancelot widget using the horizontal scroller,
drag an icon from the Lancelot widget to the panel,
maybe add a spacer or two in order to place the icon where I want it,
remove the Lancelot widget,
turn autohide back on,
lock widgets.

I guess I shouldn't feel to bad the kde3.5 method required
Left click the icon I desire in the k-menu
drag it to the desired panel and release it
select add to panel

Perhaps I'm missing something but that seems easier.

Ideally I would like to drag an icon to any panel (not just the "main" panel
which I
think KDE4 may allow), drop it and be asked if I want to add the icon there.

My only other difficulty right now is with the way widgets are added in
general, the
horizontal slide thing is way to slow, the old scrolling window style would be
a nice
option if it is possible.

Thanks again for asking.

See ya,