Re: [suse-kde] Real KDE Support
  • From: Anders Johansson <anders.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:30:19 +0200
On Tuesday 22 October 2002 21.25, MET wrote:
> I'm a RedHat user getting tired of their 'support' for KDE. So I'm
> looking for another distro that has quality and truly supports KDE.
> Everyone's telling me to use Suse. So here I am. So what's the real
> deal? Does YaST offer support for the updates to KDE allowing me to
> easily update

Some updates are supported through YaST, but far from all. I think the rule is
security fixes and critical bugfixes, but not feature additions.

> or do I have to manually update like in RedHat (rpm -Uvh
> --nodeps *.rpm)?

If you could do that in Red Hat there'd be few complaints wouldn't there. The
point is that Red Hat rarely provide rpms of any description. No matter how
you choose to install. With Red Hat you're usually forced to install from
source.

In the "supplementary" directory on ftp.suse.com and its mirrors (use mirrors,
unless you're a *very* patient person) there are rpms for just about
everything. They're not "officially supported", but they're there. How you
install them is up to you. rpm -Uvh works, so does kpackage.

Anders