Re: [opensuse-gnome] 5 questions (for the moment at least....)
On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 15:25 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 08/04/11 22:49, Nelson Marques wrote:
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just installed 11.4 with the gnome DE on a test-bed to see what it is
like
in anticipation of using gnome 3 (which my current distro, Ubuntu, Â will
not
be adopting).

I installed 11.4 from the DVD, and it is the 32-bit version. (The
installation is a stock-standard installation with all the latest upgrades
as of a few hours ago.)

I have 5 questions which I would be pleased to have answered

[pruned]

I'll take the opportunity to thank everyone - Nelson, Dominique, Atri -
in this one message so as not to repeat myself :-) .

Following the kind instructions given, I have 'solved' all 5 niggly
bits: I have a clean workspace/desktop; the icon cache has been rebuilt;
the background wallpaper is in perfect focus (I had downloaded the wrong
pix-es: I accidentally grabbed the thumbnails on the site rather than
the actual pix-es sized for my monitor); all running apps showing up on
the one and same workspace was solved by disengaging the Desktop Effects
(so the compiz bug is still there I guess - and see also a post from me
to follow this one dealing with Gnome #3); and the bit about the most
efficient mirrors for upgrade downloads is still open: earlier today I
saw this 'mirrorbrain' at work and it picked some unknown site somewhere
in the world, I not know where, as the most effiicient when I have one
sitting only 'just around the corner' from me which I have been using
for quite some time.

So, the bottom line is: thank you all.

(But now to have a rant about Gnome #3........ :'( .)

BC

--

"I believe what I am programmed to believe."
A robot in Futuruma

The compiz plugin place will allow you to specify an application always
starting on a specific desktop (viewport).