Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 42.3 status update and roadmap proposal
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 17:34:26 +0100
Op donderdag 2 februari 2017 16:59:46 CET schreef Ludwig Nussel:
Hi,

As announced in December¹, Leap 42.3 is already open for
submissions. We shouldn't expect big updates in 42.3, nevertheless
some went in already, like texlive 2016. Also, some packages that we
already know SLE will take from Factory also got updated like e.g.
YaST. So far the current state looks quite good in openQA² so the
adventurous may already zypper dup.

What's missing still is a roadmap for the release. SLE12SP3 aims for
a release in September. Due to the holiday season in August where
many developers are likely unavailable anyways development is
expected to be finished before. So my proposal would be to also
finish with Leap before and aim for a release at the last Wednesday
of July.

With regard to the release model I'd like to try something new.
Rather than having fixed milestones with fixed submission deadlines
every few weeks let's try to adopt a model similar to Tumbleweed's.
Ie have snapshots released automatically based on openQA results.
Nevertheless the closer we get to the release the stricter the rules
for updating packages have to be.

cu
Ludwig

[1] https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2016-12/msg00165.html
[2] https://openqa.opensuse.org/group_overview/28

Re. that last bit: I love the idea to keep Leap 42.3 rolling until release.
This as a personal opinion

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member