Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 20:46:54 +0200
On Tuesday 12 June 2012 19:37:46 Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 20:30 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
You don't need an account on Studio/Gallery to download.

Sadly, you do. One wonders how much more adoption of openSUSE could be
had if Gallery never had the login requirement.

I talked to someone in #susestudio a few months back about this, and was
told SUSE decided to have the login because it wanted to keep track of
what downloading were downloading. That's a bit scary if true, but its
their system, their decision.

Meh, didn't notice. The download button showed up, I just assumed I could
click it and start the download :D

That'd have to be fixed for sure.

<snip>
This would represent a fundamental shift in openSUSE's philosophy, in my
opinion. Are we prepared for this?

I personally love that we have a partnership with SUSE Studio. It is a
great product and we use it frequently in the community and we
wholeheartedly promote SUSE Studio in our talks everywhere.

However, SUSE Studio is not an openSUSE-umbrella'ed project. It is a
SUSE project. Moreover, it is not 100% open source last I heard. At
openSUSE, we take pride in declaring that everything we do under the
openSUSE Project umbrella is 100% open source and usable by anyone, even
if they are not using openSUSE.

We use Github - even moved from the Free Software Gitorious over to Github
because it's so much better! We're a practical community and I like it that
way... So I don't see a fundamental problem.

If we made Studio the very first thing people have to encounter when
they wish to start using openSUSE, then we are contradicting our own
claim right out of the gate.

Well, being the first thing is a bad impression, yes. Then again, I believe
our forums are proprietary software too - and also something quite visible.
I don't think it's a black and white discussion - we should (be able to) ask
for some consessions from the Studio team if we decide we need that here and
there.

Nothing against Studio, mind you. Just that we need to remain true to
our fundamental goals as a Project or take the time to re-define it.

Depends on what we integrate and what we don't. But I wouldn't require the
whole platform to be open if we just redirect people there to download stuff
(provided it doesn't ask for a login, of course!).

The opportunity to clone the image we provide and edit it is something
people have now too, it's just more complicated. We'd not be taking anything
away or making currently-free things more closed for anyone. We'd only be
building on and taking advantage of what our ecosystem provides.

/Jos

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Project