Am 13.06.2012 07:54, schrieb Per Jessen:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
I have seen some server level PCs taking 15 minutes, measured with a
wall clock, to boot from a usb stick (text mode). That same computer
booted from CD to live under two minutes to a graphics system.

Carlos, apart from a "server level personal computer" being a bit of an
odd thing :-), that was surely a hardware issue. Anything I've
recently booted from USB definitely completed faster than from CD.

I think it is actually BIOS dependant -- I have seen many, even recent
BIOSes taking ages to load kernel and initrd from USB stick (5 minutes
wall clock) and loading the same kernel and initrd quickly from a CD.

Once the linux kernel takes over, this is mostly moot, but until then...
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"