  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:54:09 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-06-12 19:52, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
On Thursday 07 June 2012 22:59:10 Carlos E. R. wrote: On 2012-06-07
22:20, Hans Witvliet wrote:
But even then, i think it is faster then a cdrom....

Not by a long shot :-)

Not sequentially reading data but in practice things run far better
due to the HUGE random access times of a CD. Ever had to wait for the
CD to spin up and then start your application? Exactly.

USB 2 is certainly far more comfortable than CD or DVD.

I have seen some server level PCs taking 15 minutes, measured with a
wall clock, to boot from a usb stick (text mode). That same computer
booted from CD to live under two minutes to a graphics system.

Carlos, apart from a "server level personal computer" being a bit of an
odd thing :-), that was surely a hardware issue. Anything I've
recently booted from USB definitely completed faster than from CD.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.9°C)