Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 13:59:42 -0700
On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's somewhat buried as I recall ... and of course it requires a
network connection or you have to do it over when the machine comes
up. Ubuntu now explicitly encourages network connectivity during
install but will work without it. Fedora sometimes asks for it and
sometimes doesn't; I haven't figured out how it decides. If you boot
it into the desktop and enable a network with NetworkManager, Fedora
will remember the settings onto your installed system, which I think
is nifty. ;-)

I really think the strategy after 12.2 should be:

1. Take a leaf out of Ubuntu's book. Provide the absolutely best KDE
700MB LiveCD / Installer we can and feature the heck out of it! Add an
app store like Ubuntu has, even!

s/KDE/GNOME/g

I like GNOME3. I *use* GNOME3. But I don't see a huge difference
between a Fedora GNOME3 and an openSUSE GNOME3. I think an openSUSE
KDE can be sigificantly better than Fedora's KDE or Ubuntu's KDE, if
only because of the geographic proximity of some of the core team
members of the two projects.

There's also some core "semantic desktop" functionality (Nepomuk) in
KDE that hasn't been surpassed IMHO by anything GNOME, Unity, MATE or
Cinnamon have to offer. I don't think you can even get this on Windows
or a Mac - I've run that by the Nepomuk team and they say it's a lot
of engineering work.

2. If you have network during an install, measure its speed and offer
the user alternate desktops with a warning on how long the install
will take. Offer the non-OSS components at install time like Ubuntu
does.

What happens if you don't ? Which will be a lot of cases if you
consider a 'worldwide' panorama :)

3. Provide the rest of the install media via our "other app store",
SUSE Studio Gallery.

Do that, and prepare for worldwide boycott :)

How is being number six on the Distrowatch rankings, behind even
Mageia and Debian, fundamentally different from a "worldwide boycott"?
;-)

Rank Distribution H.P.D*
1 Mint 4081<
2 Ubuntu 2205>
3 Fedora 1703=
4 Mageia 1472>
5 Debian 1390=
6 openSUSE 1386>

It's a numbers game and openSUSE's numbers are terrible. We have a
strong community, SUSE Gallery, OBS and as far as I know the corporate
side is doing acceptably well on the business metrics - revenues,
expenses and competitive positioning in the enterprise. Why are we
behind Mageia and Debian? For that matter, how did Mint manage to pass
Ubuntu?

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.