  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 08:24:56 +0200
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Now I tried how much space we need to save to be at 700MB and it's
roughly 80MB, that we are over.

So I wonder: should we screw the medium CD and go officially for
1GB sticks as our medium? (or require DVD medium for non-usb).

CDs are fast going the way of floppy disks. Some people still use them, but...

Personally, I haven't burned a CD in several years. The only reason I
know my DVD burner still functions is that I used it to install
X-Plane10 a couple of months ago :-)

All installs I do, including Windows are from USB, so... my vote would
be USB ISO, but... does that take in to account people who don't want
to or cannot use a USB Stick? Nope.. there are instances where the
USB ports are explicitly blocked... as in filled with glue by the IT
guys... among other things like an older PC that cannot boot from USB.

But as you can see, libreoffice and it's subpackages (plus their
dependencies) is worth ~20% of the live cd space. So realistically,
we have two choices: live CD without libreoffice or live USB with
libreoffice. *Or* we find a way to reduce the size of packages
by splitting things out that are optional and don't need to be on
the live cd (I can hear you say documentation :)

So that leads to this. Is full documentation really necessary for a
LiveCD? I really don't think so. Who actually uses it? The point of
the LiveCD is to provide a functioning and usable bootable media that
allows people to:
- try out Linux
- install openSUSE from a relatively small download ISO
- boot a rescue system
- have a portable OS that they can boot almost anywhere

In all of these cases, the online documentation is not exactly a high priority.

So.. if there is a chance to save 100MB by ripping out the
documentation, the DO IT! :-) Any documentation needs can be filled by
going online and searching (what virtually everyone does anyway) or
installing via YaST after booting.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.1 x86_64, KDE 4.8.3