Re: [opensuse-factory] Anyone dualbooting 12.1 and 12.2?
  • From: Roman Bysh <rbtc1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 18:14:06 -0400
On June 1, 2012 01:31:49 PM Felix Miata wrote:
On 2012/06/01 18:15 (GMT+0200) Martin Schlander composed:
Has anyone tried installing 12.2 beta (using grub2) in dualboot with an
existing 12.1 system (using legacy grub)?

I don't dual boot. Dual means exactly and only two. I multiboot, which
covers every instance of more than one. :-)

I have more systems than I can keep track of with 11.4 and 12.1 and 12.2,
besides earlier releases and other distros, and DOS, and OS/2, and Windows.
But, I try not to let anything except *buntu install its own Grub2, and have
only slipped up once, with Fedora 16 just two days ago. I never install any
Grub to any MBR, ever.

None of my 12.2 installs from M1 up thru B1 have produced a will not boot
result.
If yes, does it work right out of the box? Is it seamless? (like
traditionally
According to the mailing lists, not for everyone.

e.g. http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2012-06/msg00004.html
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2012-06/msg00008.html and a bunch of
forum messages.

dualbooting multiple openSUSE versions all using legacy grub). Anything I
should be aware of?

Fedora 15's Legacy Grub users cannot chainload from 15 to F16's or F17's
Grub 2. I've yet to notice a parallel mention for openSUSE on the Factory
or English lists.

I'd like to test 12.2 beta on my real hardware, by installing it on my
test
partition. But I'm scared of being left unable to boot my 12.1 production
system. So I'd be happy to hear if others have good (or bad) experiences
with similar setups.

As long as you don't write Grub 2 to the MBR like its upstream devs insist
is the only place it should be installed, you should always be able to
reach anything else from Grub Legacy, even if that means manually from a
Grub prompt. What you see in menu.lst stanzas can be typed at a Grub prompt
to boot any kernel/initrd you know to look for, regardless what Grubs are
installed anywhere. The only catch with Legacy might possibly be with an
older BIOS you may want a /boot or / that's out of reach above the LBA28
access limit.

You do have the option in 12.2 to install Grub Legacy instead if you're
truly afraid of losing production partition access.

I can dual boot with 12.1 with Grub1 and 12.2 Beta 1 with Grub2.

Cheers!

Roman