Re: [opensuse-factory] Language selection and keyboard during installation - questions for all English installing users
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:54:40 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Tuesday, 2010-11-30 at 12:29 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Use IP geolocation to make a better guess about the users
geographical location. Then we could have a lookup-table indexed by
(language,location) that would give a list of the most commonly found
keyboards for that combination. E.g. "En(UK),AU" -> US (possibly
plus others).

There is already a map selection where we choose country for the hour
selection. It could be used for more things.
As long as we can change the automaticaclly choosen defaults - me, I
live in Spain, so I need the Spanish keyboard, but I want programs in
English, so I use the US locale, with further adjustements later to
get the coin set to Euros, decimal separator, etc.

Yep, not an uncommon example.

So, click on the country, and set timezone, keyboard, and language.
Then allow the user to change any of them independently (which we can
do now).

Better still (if we _are_ going to re-arrange this), use geolocation to
make a decent guess first, then set timezone, keyboard, and language
and (obviously) allow the user the change all three.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-1.2°C)