Re: [opensuse-factory] Gross bugs in GM
  • From: madworm_de.novell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 16:22:00 +0200
Well...

the last time I felt the urge to comment on such things was the blatant failure
of the rescue/repair system in 10.2 (or was is 10.3 ?). A fact that
could have been discovered in 2 minutes by almost anybody. I'm bold enough to
believe that even a reasonable intelligent parrot could have discovered
it and rightfully started a squawking tantrum, biting the the next best person
until blood drips off the "commit-button finger".

Maybe it is time to reconsider what is important:

a) Not missing a release date/cycle at all cost, shipping "crap" (before I get
fried: this is an intentional exaggeration) to the users and move all
existing bug reports to the next version.
b) Letting the cheese/wine properly mature until it becomes really tasty. This
clearly takes more time and more testers.

I understand that most bugs can only be found by actually using the software,
and herein lies THE problem. I don't have an issue with testing a live
CD in Virtualbox now and then, but that won't show most issues with hardware
(fake raid controllers etc.). I and certainly most of the other casual
testers won't want to trash a working system with "crap". Installing a
reasonably aged release candidate would be OK I guess.

What is a release of openSUSE supposed to be? Cutting edge "crap" that needs a
few "service packs", or something a bit less colorful that just works?
Or is "it just works" monopolized by SLED?

R.