Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Announcing important changes in the distribution
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:29:36 +0100
Hey,

We already discussed this at the openSUSE conference and the week after,
and we agree on this topic. Just one nitpick :-)

Le mercredi 02 décembre 2009, à 18:57 +0100, Lubos Lunak a écrit :
Examples would be the removal of X configuration including keyboard layout
from YaST as a consequence of deprecating Sax2, meaning that it is now not
possible to change keyboard layout for KDM/XDM, or the upgrade of PackageKit
to a newer version that no longer had PolicyKit as a dependency but instead
started requiring its newer and backwards incompatible version polkit-1,
requiring rewritting KDE support from scratch (which is the reason why KDE in
11.2 uses polkit-gnome). In the first case, I don't remember that mentioned
anywhere, in the latter case, the kupdateapplet maintainer was notified
(where it didn't really matter) but not the KDE maintainers. Others could
probably come up with their own examples.

The PackageKit story didn't really happen this way. I asked in
#opensuse-kde if it was okay to update PackageKit, someone told me to
ask the kupdateapplet maintainer, and everybody was okay.

Now, surely, there was some miscommunication in all that, since the
PolicyKit change didn't raise any alarm at that point. But the
communication did happen.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.