Re: [opensuse-factory] Czech Packagers Meeting minutes 2009-02-03
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:03:21 +0000
2009/2/13 Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

As a translator, I can tell you that it is quite difficult (for me) to
translate a manpage, because there is no useful manpage writing program -
ie, one that does not require the writer to be a programmer.

The man pages are simple text files with a few processing commands
like .TH, .SH, .P, .br in them. So something like Gedit, Kate or
Notepad is all that's needed.

Some links explaining how man pages are created
http://www.fnal.gov/docs/products/ups/ReferenceManual/html/manpages.html
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Man-Page.html

As the subject matter is very technical, I'm wondering how someone not
able to understand formatting directives (and avoid changing them)
would be able to accurately translate the pages, leaving command and
environmental names as is.

Are you feeling that some kind of display tool is needed, to provide
instant feedback on changes?