Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: opensuse discontinuing rpmbuild ??
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 23:17:22 +0200
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 03:14:50PM -0600, Bart Whiteley wrote:
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Linda Walsh escribió:

Perhaps I'm confusing the question by the venue in which I am
asking. If someone has installed OS, but is not working on developing
the next OS release, and wants to apply a local patch -- not for public
consumption, but for testing, then the solution is to use the OS build
server?

you want to use "build" in that case,

I don't get it. If I just want to build an RPM that will be installed
(only) on the same system that built it, why would I want to setup a
chroot instead of just using rpmbuild (as a non-root user in case the
spec is evil and tries to touch things it shouldn't)?

The issue is easy, we test for one set of build dependencies.

Your system might have more or less dependencies, where our configure /
make script will break.

You can just go and fix it for yourself of course, there is nothing against
that.

Ciao, Marcus