Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-contrib (154 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-contrib] Fwd: [opensuse-factory] The Future of Factory/Contrib
On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 06:10:30PM +0200, Pavol Rusnak wrote:
Marcus Meissner wrote:
So from my POW, we have those possibilities:
1.) use the Contrib as one of devel projects for Factory

No.

Agreed.

2.) drop Contrib and move all packages to appropiate devel project and
Factory

This can be done, but I guess we do not want everything in Factory.

Agreed.

3.) redefine a Contrib as a respository with less strict maintenance rules
(eg. the "famous" version upgrades), because even if the Factory will be
opened for community, every package must be maintained for cca 2 years
(that
means, three openSUSE releases + Factory). And community is not really
interested on it.

I would say we still need a "Other" repository for the stuff that won't get
into Factory and Contrib is still well suited for it.

I think that Contrib with version upgrades is a way to go. There were
some people that wanted to help with Contrib, but dropped when they
realized that no version upgrades were allowed there.

I have the same opinion - make Contrib a repository with less strict
rules than Factory has.

If we decide to go this way, I see two 'subpossibilities' :

3a) freeze/branch Contrib when new openSUSE release is out (i.e.
openSUSE:11.1:Contrib), but allow version upgrades if there's a bug

or

3b) do not branch Contrib at all, but build it for older openSUSE
versions (like we are now building for 11.1).

What do you think?

--
Best regards / s pozdravem

Petr Uzel, Packages maintainer